Climate Change - Pipelines - Take Action - Carbon Fast - What is Happening - Environmental Ministries - NEREM - Resources
Other books and reading materials:
- The Splendor of Creation: A Biblical Ecology by Ellen Bernstein
- A Greener Faith: Religious Environmentalism and Our Planet's Future by Roger S. Gottlieb
- A Spirituality of Resistance: Finding a Peaceful Heart and Protecting the Earth by Roger S. Gottlieb
- Christianity and Ecology: Seeking the Well-Being of Earth and Humans Dieter Hessel and Rosemary Radford Ruether
- Ecologies of Grace - Environmental Ethics and Christian Theology, Willis Jenkins - a Yale Divinity School professor asks how does salvation relate to environmental ethics? He argues that being saved intimately connects with saving nature.
- Living From the Center: Spirituality in an Age of Consumerism by Jay B. McDaniel
- The End of Nature by Bill McKibben
- Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth by Bill McKibben
- Holy Ground edited by Lindsay Moseley - A collection of essays, sermons and other short pieces from current world religious leaders.
- A Moral Climate - The Ethics of Global Warming by Michael S. Northcott - U. of Edinburgh Professor offers a book that engages the science, draws on the whole of scripture in its exegetical portrait of the earth, thoroughly grasps the relevant theological concepts (including the trinitarian, christological, anthropological and eschatological issues) and moves the reader to repentance, empowerment and engagement in the political and economic dimensions of this crisis. (Thanks to Sam Wells’ review in Christian Century, 5/6/2008)
- Spirit and Nature: Why the Environment is a Religious Issue by Steven Rockefeller and John Elder
- Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action by Matthew J. Sleeth
- Climate Change: The Anatomy of a Silent Crisis A comprehensive report documenting the global impact of climate change on human society today, that has been released by the Global Humanitarian Forum in Geneva.
- Click to download report in pdf format
Click to view the video, Anatomy of a Silent Crisis
Visit the Global Humanitarian Forum website
- Climate Progress by Joe Romm - The most comprehensive coverage of climate change is Joe Romm’s blog Climate Progress. Romm, former acting assistant secretary of energy, is a Senior Fellow at American Progress and holds a Ph.D. in physics from MIT.
- United Church of Christ - national UCC page Environmental Ministries
- United Church of Christ forum on Science and Religion, including John Thomas' Pastoral Letter on Faith Engaging Science and Technology
- Are science and faith compatible? Jim Antal recommends this article by Dan Falk from Science & Spirit
- Massachusetts Interfaith Power & Light Learn how to green your church!
- The Web of Creation was established to foster the movement for personal and social transformation to a just and sustainable world from religious perspectives. At this site you can connect with ideas, resources and strategies for doing eco-justice.
- The Forum on Religion and Ecology The largest international multi-religious project of its kind. With its conferences, publications, and website it is engaged in exploring religious world views, texts, and ethics in order to broaden understanding of the complex nature of current environmental concerns.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Provides tips for practicing environmental stewardship in the home, community, nation. Provides access to on-line educational materials.
- Alliance for a Healthy Tomorrow Learn how you can join with others to protect the health of children and adults from toxic chemicals linked to cancer, asthma, infertility, learning and develop-mental disabilities, birth defects, and neurodegenerative diseases.
- 350mass Better Future Project is a Cambridge-based climate organizing nonprofit founded in January 2011. In spring 2012, Better Future Project staff began a series of meetings and conversations with fellow activists about the need for a grassroots climate network in Massachusetts. Those conversations grew out of many years of collaboration on 350.org actions and events, and they led to the creation of 350 Massachusetts for a Better Future as a volunteer-led, campaign-focused network.
- 350.org believes that a global grassroots movement can hold our leaders accountable to the realities of science and the principles of justice. That movement is rising from the bottom up all over the world, and is uniting to create the solutions that will ensure a better future for all.
- Green Faith Interfaith partners for the environment
- Pilgrim Firs is one of the two camp and conference centers owned and operated by the Pacific Northwest Conference. It is available for the outdoor ministry and educational programs of the United Church of Christ as well as other church, civic and educational non-profit groups. Pilgrim Firs is a year-round camp and conference center on the Kitsap Peninsula of western Washington. This beautiful site includes 120 wooded acres of which 40 have been developed with cabins, lodges and outdoor recreation areas for guest use.
- Silver Lake Conference Center, CT Environmental Justice Center
- www.cleanwateraction.org Clean Water Action
- www.earthcharter.org Earth Charter
- Earth Ministry www.earthministry.org
- Greenpeace International www.greenpeace.org
- National Council of Churches Environmental Program http://nationalcouncilofchurches.us/shared-ministry/justice-advocacy/
- North American Coalition for Christianity and Ecology www.nacce.org
- Center for a New American Dream www.newdream.org
- Pesticide Action Network of North America www.panna.org
- Restoring Eden www.restoringeden.org
- Mass Climate Action Network www.massclimateaction.org/
- Environmental League of Massachusetts http://www.environmentalleague.org/
- Sierra Club www.sierraclub.org/
- Center for Nature and Christian Spirituality westminsterwoods.org/cncs/
- PlanetSave planetsave.com/
Below is a list of environmental sermons which have been submitted to us and are reprinted here with the author's permission. For more example sermons that relate specifically to climate change, see our resources page for the Season of Prophetic Climate Witness. If you have a sermon which you would like to share, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Good News, Bad News," by Rev. Hannah Brown, September 15, 2015
"Dominion vs. Stewardship," Genesis 1:24-31 by Rev. Chris Mereschuk, September 27, 2015
"Shaped by Hope—In a Climate Crisis World," on Jeremiah 32:1-17, Rev. Dr. Jim Antal, November 2014.
"Offering Hope Amidst Dislocation," on Mark 1:4-11, Rev. Dr. Jim Antal, January 2015.
"God's Gift of Water as a Public Trust," on Matthew 7:24-27, Rev. Dr. Jim Antal, March 2015.
Sermon on Deuteronomy 30:5-20, Dr. Peter Bakkan, February 2014.
"Love God, Love Your Neighbor," on John 1:1-14, Rev. Canon Sally Bingham, July 2012, from Interfaith Power & Light.
"Feasting on Hope," on Matthew 14:13-21 (loaves & fishes), Rev. Margaret Bullitt-Jonas, August 2014.
"Are you also among the prophets?" on Ezekiel 37:1-14 and Acts 2:1-4, Patrick Cage, Pentecost Sunday 2015.
"Hard Truths, Holy Truths," on 1 John 3:16-18, Patrick Cage, Earth Sunday 2015.
Earth Sunday Reflection on John 2:13-16, Rev. Tiffany Curtis, Earth Sunday 2015.
"Balaam's Ass," on Numbers 22:4b-38, Rev. Susanna Griefen, July 2011, based on Rev. Peter Sawtell's "Celebrating the Asses in Our Lives."
"Slouching Towards Crisis," on Isaiah 24:1-13, Rev. Susanna Griefen, Earth Sabbath 2010.
"The Beginning of Wisdom," on Psalm 111:1-10, Rev. Susanna Griefen, July 2006.
"Keepers of God's Beloved World," on John 3:14-21, Rev. Anne Hall, St. Francis Day 2009, from Earth Ministry.
"God's Taunt," on Job 38:1-11 and Matthew 19:16-22, Bill McKibben, April 2013, from GreenFaith. Watch the sermon video.
"Carry the Vision," on Habukkuk 2:1-3, Rev. Ruth Richards, June 2013.
"A Warning from the Past," on Jeremiah 20:7-13, Rev. Ruth Richards, June 2014.
"Climate Change - Vulnerability, Lament, and Promise," on Jonah 3:4-4:13, Barbara Rossing.
"Seeing, Believing, & Acting," on John 20:19-31 (doubting Thomas), Rev. Peter Sawtell, Earth Day 2001.
"Flying in Faith," Fred Taylor, March 2015.
"Renew a Right Spirit," on Psalm 51:10-12, Tom Walker, St. Francis Day 2008, from Earth Ministry.
"Cod Forgive Us," on Genesis 11:1-9, Andrée Zaleska, May 2015.
?"The Urgency of Now,"? on Jonah 3:1-5,10, January 2015, from the 2015 National Preach-In on Global Warming.
Video sermon: "Light on the Salt," on Matthew 5:13-20, Rev. Dana Allen Walsh, February 2014.
Video sermon: "Casting Out Demons," on Mark 1:29-39, Alex Shea Will, February 2015.
Video sermon: "The Moral Math of Climate Change," on Luke 14:1-14, Bill McKibben, August 2010.
Watch video sermons and reflections from the National Preach-In on Global Warming.
Sermon Tips and Pastoral Reflections:
"Deliver a Powerful Creation Care Sermon," from Blessed Tomorrow, which includes talking points for making the faith and climate connection.
"Biblical Themes for Christian Sermons on the People's Climate March," from GreenFaith.
Eco-Justice Notes on climate change, from Eco-Justice Ministries.
Divest & reinvest now! sermon tips, Rev. Fletcher Harper, Green Faith.
Notes for Lutheran Faith Leaders, Sarah Gross Samuelson, February 2015 (Epiphany 6B).
"On Scripture: Climate Change and Setting the World on Fire," Melissa Browning, blog post on Sojourners.
"A Needed Climate Crisis Conversation: Reflections on Genesis 1:1-2:4a," John C. Holbert, pastoral reflection on Patheos.
Videos and DVDs
2010 Earth Day Sunday sermon on John 21:1-19, Rev. Canon Sally Bingham, from Interfaith Power & Light.
"Crying out to God" on the Psalms of lamentation, Rev. Roger Burkhart.
"Holy Ground" on Psalm 104 and creation care quotations, Rev. Susanna Griefen, Earth Sabbath 2012.
"Carrying the Light of Christ into Creation," Rev. Stephanie Johnson, Easter Vigil.
Dozens of example sermons on creation care from Let All Creation Praise.
Sermons and ecological worship resources from Eco-Justice Ministries.
Ecological worship resources from Web of Creation.
Liturgies and sermon themes for the Season of Creation, which runs through September to St. Francis Day.
Liturgical resources from Operation Noah for week one of the Season of Creation, year B.
Green Pointers for Preachers, ecological notes for the entire lectionary, from Green Christian.
Care for Creation Commentary on the Lectionary, from Lutherans Restoring Creation.
Ecological reflections on the lectionary, from the Minnesota Episcopal Environmental Stewardship Commission.
St. Francis Day resources (October 4), including a Blessing of the Animals service, through textweek.com.
Earth Sunday: Shepherding Divestment liturgy, Rev. Rob Mark, Church of the Covenant in Boston (PCUSA/UCC), April 2015.
Psalm 98 and climate change & sustainability (Proper 28C), from the North Carolina Council of Churches.
Climate Change Day of Prayer, prayers and readings from Churches Together in Britain and Ireland (CTBI).
Archbishop Desmond Tutu climate prayer powerpoint, from Christian Concern for One World.
Liturgy and worship suggestions from the Catholic Climate Covenant.