Christian Education Director (P/T) - Leominster, MA
The Christian Education Director is responsible for the organization and delivery of the Sunday School Program and church Youth Group; consistent with the teaching and practices of the UCC. This position must demonstrate organizational skills and professional demeanor while directing the educational and religious instruction offered to children of all ages. This position must be sensitive to the cultural, social, and individual needs of each child while ensuring the safety of each child during church activities by administration of the Safe Church Policy.
The CE Director reports directly to the Christian Education Committee (CE) Chairperson of Pilgrim Congregational Church UCC.
It is expected that this position will be compensated based on 20 hours worked per week. For this position, the year begins the first Sunday in August and continues through to Children’s Sunday, which is typically the 2nd Sunday in June.
- Recommends and presents to CE Committee curriculum plans for the year. (Pastor & Committee to approve)
- Recruits, supports, and retains volunteers as teachers in the Christian Education Program. Assists teachers in finding substitutes for church school.
- Hold monthly Sunday School Teachers meetings using a mentoring approach in the basic skills of classroom techniques, group interaction, lesson planning and spiritual planning.
- Attends monthly CE Committee meetings to review/approve curriculum goals. (The CE Director does not chair the committee but reports to the committee for coordination of church activities) The CE Director will also hear any concerns or recommendations by this committee regarding the Sunday School Program.
- Ensure “Safe Church Policy” guidelines are being adhered to by volunteer staff. Work and advise the CE Committee on Safe Church Policy updates and concerns.
- Provides inputs to the CE Chairperson for the monthly written report to be included as part of the Coordinating Council records. (Provide written report to Coordinating Council in the absence of CE Chairperson)
- In the absence of the CE Chairperson, attends monthly Council Meetings as a non-voting member.
- Keep records of Church School attendance and submit the “Record of Attendance” to the Clerk of the Church following the worship service, weekly. Provide a list of the names of all children enrolled and add new attendees to the “Record of Attendance” for that week.
- Hold regular office hours during the church school year, on the premises of PCC. The CE Director is also required to be present every Sunday to direct the activities of the Church School Program. (see Allocation of Hours)
- Provides support to teachers who are preparing students for First Communion and Confirmation. Should confirm with pastors/mentors/teachers that the programs are being followed and meeting goals.
- Meet with Pastor and CE Chairperson weekly to discuss all issues related to the success of the CE program. Obtain content approval from CE Chairperson for the following CE programs: Christmas Pageant, Easter Program and Youth Sunday program. These programs are intended to demonstrate understanding of Christian principals learned during the course of the Sunday School year, and should be seasonally appropriate.
- Provide input and support for church Youth Group in the form of activities and events tailored specifically for that group. This may include retreats, field trips, visits, etc. that can occur outside of normal church hours. Coordinate these activities with CE Chairperson.
- Prior to the conclusion of the Sunday School year (no later than April 30th) the CE Director will also meet with the Pastor and CE Chairperson to reaffirm dates of summer VBS and volunteers who will conduct the program. Assist volunteers with logistics and provide guidance, as needed. Report any concerns/gaps for the program before concluding the church school summer break.
- Effectively communicate with Trustees in charge of church space use. Ensure that the church property is left uncluttered following children’s activities. Handle issues regarding cleanliness/maintenance needs of Sunday school areas and report cleanliness issues to the trustees or church office for proper handling.
- In coordination with the CE Chairperson, provide a monthly article for the church newsletter designed to maintain visibility of the program and promote Sunday School attendance and growth
- Cooperate with the Director of Music regarding special children’s music program.
- Become familiar with and utilize resources offered by the UCC. (See Pastor/Personnel Committee for details)
- Provides an annual report to the Congregation.
- Completes other duties as assigned by the CE Chairperson.
- Familiarity with the United Church of Christ. Working knowledge of UCC Safe Church Policies
- Degree in education or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with children in either organization or educational settings. (CORI clearance required)
- Capable of using current and available communication/office equipment for use in communicating with parents, congregation and the public. Examples include but are not limited to: Word processing software, use of e-mail, texting and web based communication (Facebook or other social networking applications) as well as the US postal service.
- Should be highly organized and prepared for contingency should there be necessary changes in personnel and teaching staff.
- Should be able to communicate across a broad spectrum of audiences. (children, parents, committees, pastor and other vested parties)
- Should be capable of maintaining confidences with the understanding that safety may require additional communication with church officers and officials that are charged with public safety.
- Demonstrate an understanding of safe church policies and hold committees and teachers accountable to these policies
Qualified applicants should email a resume and cover letter to:
Pilgrim Congregational Church Office
Contact: Sharon Melanson
26 West Street Leominster MA 01453