Christian Education Director
First Church Sandwich, United Church of Christ, an open and affirming congregation seeks an energetic Christian Education Director to lead our Christian Education and Youth Ministry programs. Christian Education is an important ministry at First Church. It is our goal to provide and promote a wide range of Christian Education opportunities for the Church and wider community, including but not limited to: Sunday School, Youth Groups, and Vacation Bible School. The Director will report directly to the Pastor but work in coordination with the Faith Formation Committee. We are looking for someone to bring new energy, ideas, and to expand our programs. View complete job description for more information.
To apply please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHRISTIAN EDUCATION DIRECTOR
First Church Sandwich, UCC
The Christian Education Director is responsible for the religious education program for the children and youth of the church; integrating opportunities for inter-generational activities.
1. Selects, in conjunction with the Faith Formation Committee and the pastor, the curriculum(a) to be used in the church school program.
2. Manages and directs the church school program. Recruits, or coordinates recruitment of, teachers and volunteers.
3. Coordinates and/or delivers the children's message during the 9:00 congregational worship service as agreed upon with the pastor.
4. Directs and oversees summertime Vacation Bible School.
5. Attends meetings of the Faith Formation Committee, Council and staff meetings.
6. Engages parents and families in Christian Education programs through volunteerism and promotional messaging.
7. Leads the communion education program for children.
8. Organizes, in conjunction with Faith Formation Committee, programs and events for families.
9. Takes steps to ensure compliance with and regular training "safe church" policy, including CORI checks on volunteer adults working closely with children.
10. Oversees the annual updates of church school participant membership and coordinates family contact information with the church member database.
11. Communicates in a timely manner (The Spire, Sunday bulletin, email, website, church announcements, mailings) with the church school families and the broader church and community about Christian Education activities and opportunities for involvement.
12. Directs the youth ministry program including regular youth group gatherings. Upon request assists the Pastor in the planning and support of the confirmation program.
13. Coordinates participation in youth activities outside of regular group meetings or church school, such as mission oriented trips and activities.
14. Coordinate with other church committees to promote inter-generational opportunities with in and outside of the church.
Reports to the Senior Pastor.
Works closely with:
Faith Formation Committee
Church administrative manager
Church school families
The Christian Education Director will work 15-25 hours per week (averaging 20 hours), which includes Sunday mornings over 52 weeks.
Qualifies for paid benefit time per the Personnel Handbook and approved by the Senior Pastor.
The Christian Education Director must have excellent organizational and communication skills and have a minimum of five years of involvement and/or membership in a church. Background and ability in working cooperatively with a multi-staffed church or with diverse groups of people. Must be an effective team leader. Candidates would benefit from having had experience working with children, volunteers and/or in education. College degree or equivalent experience required.
Contact: Rev. Tina Walker-Morin
Address: 136 Main Street Sandwich MA 02563