Music Minister - Lenox, MA
Purpose of this Ministry:
Create an atmosphere of celebration and reverence of God through music for all worship services at Church on the Hill, UCC (“COH”). Lead and direct the COH music program to include vocal and instrumental expressions of music. Foster an innovative, blended style of music to enhance and support the worship message goals.
● Lead COH’s music program;
● Provide music and accompaniment at worship services, weddings, and funerals;
● Coordinate the participation of guest musicians;
● Arrange for musical leadership for planned absences.
COH estimates that this position will require a commitment of between 5 and 8 hours per week.
● Commitment to the covenant and mission of COH, an Open and Affirming congregation of the
United Church of Christ.
● Demonstrated excellence as a pianist and organist in classical repertoire as well as all forms of
● Ability to lead, inspire, and engage the congregation during the worship experience.
● Demonstrated skill as an accompanist of other musicians and of congregational singing.
● Experience leading choral/vocal ensembles.
● Skill on additional musical instruments preferred but not required.
● Pastor and church staff
● Guest musicians
Job Duties and Accountability:
1. The Music Minister plans music and provides accompaniment for fifty-seven (56) regular
worship services per year, which normally include:
○ Forty-nine (49) services of Sunday morning worship;
○ one (1) Ash Wednesday evening service;
○ one (1) Maundy Thursday evening service;
○ one (1) Thanksgiving Eve service;
○ one (1) Christmas Eve service;
○ three (3) additional services that may be scheduled during the year for which advance
notice of at least one (1) month shall be provided by COH, when possible.
2. The Music Minister fosters the development of the musical gifts of individual members of the
3. The Music Minister coordinates scheduling of rehearsal space and participation in worship for all
musicians and musical groups.
4. The Music Minister attends staff meetings monthly, and meetings of the Diaconate as needed.
5. The Music Minister provides music and accompaniment for weddings, funerals, and memorials
when available, and has the right of refusal for any such services at COH. When not available,
the Music Minister is responsible for obtaining the services of another musician to cover such
services. The Music Minister will receive compensation according to the approved schedule of
fees when the church receives payment from the requester of the service.
6. The Music Minister offers other music leadership to COH as the need arises.
7. The Music Minister arranges musical leadership to cover any planned absences (vacation or
other non-emergency leave).
“The above declarations are not intended to be an ‘all-inclusive’ list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.”
“Neither this document nor any of the informational materials and forms creates an express or implied contract for a definite period or a contract concerning any terms or conditions of employment. Neither shall it alter in any way the at-will nature of employment or imply that discharge will occur only for cause.”
Contact: Pastor John A. Nelson
55 Main Street Lenox MA 01240-2313
Phone: (413) 637-1001
Attached file(s): view file